8.02.2012

Update

I felt like I owed you guys (whoever you are - I'm not even sure who still reads this at this point, cause I sure as hell don't) some sort of update on my life thus far. Let's get the basics straightened out:

I was rejected from Brown University. I know, I know - applying to Ivies is a longshot for everyone (except for my friend Zander, who's going to Harvard after being accepted to Yale and Cornell as well), but part of me thought I had the chance. I was interviewed by an alumnus back in January, and he gave me the whole spiel about how I was "certainly Brown material," though it didn't do much to affect my overall application. I cried when I was denied, though I'm completely happy and excited to be going to Northeastern University in the fall. That's right, Freshly Squeezed is taking over Boston. I do hope to apply to Brown for graduate school later on, though, as I really do want to experience part of my education in Rhode Island.

Both of my grandfathers died this past. My mother's father died back in December; his passing shocked us all. My father's father died a few weeks ago, something we had all expected for about a year. It's hard to lose a family member, and especially so if you lose two within a short range of each other. Part of my reasoning for choosing Northeastern was because of something my grandpa (dad's side) would say every time I visited him in Connecticut: "Tess is an east coast girl; she's going to school in Boston." Granted, I had been accepted to Boston University as well, but the family ties I had to Northeastern were what led to my decision. For those applying to college this fall, Boston University is just as great an institution as Northeastern, and I wish you all the luck in the world when applying.

I've been in a relationship with a boy named Ryan for about a year now. He's sweet. He's an English major, and his love of writing reminds me of my past desires to be a writer as well. He wants to be an English teacher and write poetry. I wish I could have the same drive to pursue something out of my own passion, rather than out of the ideology that getting a good job would lead to having a better life. I wish I had his heart.

Anyway, I fly to the east coast in less than three weeks. I still haven't packed up my life yet, and I'm terrified to do so.

Love,
Tessa

No comments: